Business Case Studies, Strategic Alliances, Collaboration and Joint Ventures Case Study, Fiat and GM,The Troubled Alliance

print page
Tell A Friend
Bookmark
 

Case Categories

Strategic Alliances, Collaboration and Joint Ventures Case Study

IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC RSS Feed
Case Title:

Fiat and GM : The Troubled Alliance

Publication Year : 2005

Authors: Roopa Umashankar, D. Satish

Industry: Automobiles

Region:USA

Case Code: SCJ0005

Teaching Note: Not Available

Structured Assignment: Not Available

Buy This Case Study
OR





Abstract:
The auto division of the Italian conglomerate, Fiat has been incurring losses since the mid-1990s. Fiat's attempt to save its ailing auto division resulted in a strategic alliance with General Motors Corp. (GM) in 2000 under which GM obtained 20% stake in Fiat Auto while Fiat obtained 5.1% in GM. Fiat also enjoyed a put option in which it had the right to sell the remaining stake to GM after four years. However, as Fiat's losses increased in 2003 and the company sought a recapitalisation, GM's stake in Fiat was reduced to 10% as it refused to be a part of the recapitalisation process. In 2004, with GM's refusal to buy the remaining 90% stake in Fiat auto under Fiat's put option, the alliance turned hostile.

Pedagogical Objectives:

  • To discuss the reasons for the break-up of the Fiat-GM strategic alliance
  • To discuss the future of strategic alliances in the global automobile industry.

Keywords : Fiat Group;Mergers, Acquisitions, Alliances Case Study; General Motors (GM); Fiat Auto's losses; Fiat's restructuring plan; Fiat's strategic alliance with GM; Fiat's put option; GM's Europe operations; GM's strategy for alliances; Powertrain; European car market

Contents : 
Introduction
Outlookon The Alliance Of The Automakers
‘Put’ Onhold Alliance
The Availableoptions
Time Forreconditioning
Gm’seuropean Andlatinamericanoperations
Fiatauto’financials From1994 To 2003
Gm’s Non-Profitable Strategicalliances In 2000
Gm’s Financial Problems
General Profile Of Fiatauto Andgme/Gmlatinamerica

Recently Bought Case Studies

    Recently Bought Case Studies
advertisement

    Executive Interviews

  • Don SullDon Sull

    Donald N Sull is a Professor of Management Practice in Strategic and International Management at the London Business School.
    Speaks on Strategy Execution
  • Dr. Allan R CohenDr. Allan R Cohen

    Edward A Madden Distinguished Professor of Global Leadership at Babson College
    Speaks on Staying on Top, Always
  • Harish BijoorHarish Bijoor

    CEO Harish Bijoor Consults, Inc.
    Speaks on Social Cause Marketing
  • View All Executive Interviews»






Contact us: IBS Case Development Centre (IBSCDC), IFHE Campus, Donthanapally, Sankarapally Road, Hyderabad-501 504, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
Mob: +91- 9640901313, Phone: +91 - 08417 - 236672, Fax : + 91 - 08417 - 236674
E-mail: casehelpdesk@ibsindia.org

©2003-2010 IBS Case Development Centre. All rights reserved. | Careers | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Disclosure | Site Map xml sitemap