Tata Tetley: Managing the Tetley Acquisition


IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC RSS Feed
 
Case Studies | Case Study in Business, Management, Operations, Strategy, Case Study

ICMR HOME | Case Studies Collection

To download Tata Tetley: Managing the Tetley Acquisition case study (Case Code: BSTA029) click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:






Business Strategy Case Studies
Case Studies Collection
Business Strategy Short Case Studies
View Detailed Pricing Info
How To Order This Case
Business Case Studies
Area Specific Case Studies
Industry Wise Case Studies
Company Wise Case Studies




Please note:

This case study was compiled from published sources, and is intended to be used as a basis for class discussion. It is not intended to illustrate either effective or ineffective handling of a management situation. Nor is it a primary information source.

Case Details:

Price:

Case Code : BSTA029 For delivery in electronic format: Rs. 300;
For delivery through courier (within India): Rs. 300 + Rs. 25 for Shipping & Handling Charges

Themes

-
Case Length : 11 Pages
Period : 2000 - 2003
Organization : Tata Tea Limited (TTL)
Pub Date : 2004
Teaching Note : Not Available
Countries : India
Industry : Beverages

Abstract:

Tata Tea Limited (TTL), is the second largest tea company in India. It has a significant presence in over 35 countries. Branded teas contribute 88% of the consolidated turnover of the group, with the remaining 12% coming from bulk tea, spices and investment activities. In 2000, TTL had acquired Tetley a major UK tea manufacturer. Analysts had expressed doubts as to whether the deal would create value. Three years after the takeover, things seem to be improving. But there are still concerns as to whether TTL can service the huge debt burden resulting from the deal and whether the synergies projected before the merger can be realised. The case deals with all these aspects along with a detailed picture of how the acquisition actually took place and how the integration is being managed.

Contents:

  Page No.
Introduction 1
Background Note 2
The Evolution of India's Largest Tea Company 2
The Tetley Acquisition 4
Finalizing the Deal 7
Integration 7
The Road Ahead 9
Exhibits -

Keywords:

Tata Tea Limited (TTL), Tetley, Acquisition, Beverage industry, Agni, Chakra, James Finlay, Tea estates, Allied Domecq, Green Ford Tea Factory, Globalisation, Homi Khusrokhan, Krishna Kumar

Tata Tetley: Managing the Tetley Acquisition - Next Page>>

 

Case Studies Links:- Case Studies, Short Case Studies, Simplified Case Studies.

Other Case Studies:- Multimedia Case Studies, Cases in Other Languages.

Business Reports Link:- Business Reports.

Books:- Textbooks, Work Books, Case Study Volumes.